Friday, March 12, 2010

Happy Little Trees

Watched an episode of Bob Ross painting happy little trees on PBS and decided to give it a shot. I had some student grade paints I was replacing with Winsor & Newton paints, so I wanted to use up the cheap stuff.

Used Gamboge, Permanent Orange and Payne's Grey wet from the tube. Applied it wet-in-wet with a 1" sable brush and a 1.5" crappy splayed bristle brush. Did a lot of pouncing, not appropriate watercolor technique at all.

It's just starting to dawn on me that yellow and black make delightful greens. That doesn't seem logical at all, but it's a fact of life in the paint world.

Showed this painting and the Unholy one to Hubby. He liked the happy trees better. Curses!

-------------------
Process notes: OMG this thing needs help. There are so many things wrong with it I don't know where to start. I was using oil painting techniques with watercolor and that's the main problem.

What went right: Lovely sky colors and beautiful greens.

No comments: