Sunday, April 25, 2010

Spaghetti & Eggs

Journaling:

Hubby wanted a Chef Salad for supper tonight so I put some eggs on to boil. Realized later there was only enough lettuce for one salad so I heated up some leftover spaghetti and took two of the eggs.

Hubby looked at my plate and said, "All you're missing is the fried bologna."

"Fried bologna? What???"

Then I got it.

Oh.

When my sisters and I were young, my mother, who is NOT a cook, would make weekend suppers of macaroni and cheese, boiled eggs and fried bologna. She fed a family of five with one small box of Mac -n- Cheese, four boiled eggs, and three pieces of bologna. There were leftovers. No wonder we were all so skinny back then.

After we all grew up we looked back and realized what a horrible combination of food this was for a meal. We ate this fairly often too.

Now it's a running joke with us.

"What are you having for supper tonight Sissy?"

"Oh, I don't want to cook. Probably macaroni and cheese, boiled eggs and fried baloney."

=============================

The slice of bologna was cut in half and when fried would curl up into a football shape. Everybody got 1/2 piece except Daddy. He got two halves.

(pointy arrow to white spot on bologna)
<--Shiny grease highlights


As a footnote to this story, I have not eaten fried bologna since I left home. If I never eat it again it will be too soon.

1 comment:

Karen Blados said...

LOL! For my mom, it was hot dogs and beans. One pack of hot dogs feeds a family of four, right? My brother, whose also 38, recently confessed to leaving the table hungry on those nights.

Even funnier? I make it around here sometimes, too.

And another thing ... that drawing of spaghetti is AWESOME!