Friday, July 30, 2010

Drum Leaf Binding



Somebody (I forgot who and couldn't find it again) posted a photo of a journal made at a workshop using the "drum leaf binding" method. It's relatively new in the centuries old bookbinding craft. It was developed to bind large maps in a two-page spread so that bits of the image wouldn't get hidden in the valley created by binding.

I read what I could find on it and it was intriguing. It's a no-sew method where all the signatures are simply glued to each other in sequence and then to the endpapers.

It was actually meant for just single leaves, but I wondered if it would also work for multi-page signatures. I can bind a single signature with no problem, but get hung up on binding the signature together to form the text block.

Every 10th page or so (depending on how many sheets are in a signature) would be a double thickness because they would be glued together. Those pages could be fancy papers and could be used for pasting in photos or clippings instead of sketching.

I wonder how many signatures would stay together this way without ripping out of the cover? Hummm.....

3 comments:

john.p said...

Thanks for the tutorial. Bindery techniques interest me.

Capt Elaine Magliacane said...

Would it work to press them together and glue them together like a pad of paper is glued? Have you seen Sketchalina's home made journals with fold out double size sheets.

Speck said...

@Capt Elaine - I'm thinking that would probably be a required glue-up step along with some of that gauzy mesh bookbinding tape stuff embedded in the glue to keep the signatures from ripping away from each other.

This quest for a no-sew method may be more work than just learning how to do coptic stitch binding correctly. I wish I lived closer to Minnesota so I could take one of Roz Stendahl's bookbinding classes.