Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Sprained Ankle

The triplets departed yesterday around noon, so Nana and I got back to the attic clean-up work order after they left. Got everything cleaned and sorted, got two new shelving units situated, and got everything stowed in its proper place. Then we turned off the light and called it D-U-N-N done! A bunch of tubs still need to go to the storage unit, but that won't be a big deal.

Right after breakfast this morning I stepped out onto Nana's deck. Or rather I fell out onto Nana's deck. Caught the inside edge of my heel on the threshold, turning my foot sideways, leaving all my weight to come down on the topside of my right foot.

I could hear it start a sickening crackle and time slowed waaaay down. Knew I was about to fall....crackle, crackle, crackle...thought, "Hummmm this isn't going to be good"...crackle, crackle, crackle,..."I'm probably about to break my ankle"...crackle, crackle, crackle..."That's gonna hurt." Then time clicked back into normal speed.


Hit the deck hard with both hands and one knee. Laid there all sprawled out thinking, "Damn, that wasn't the smartest thing I've ever done."

Assessed my injuries and decided nothing was broken. Hobbled back into the kitchen to clean up the bloody bits. Big gouge in my right palm from a deck nail, a badly skinned knee and a sore shoulder were obvious. Surprisingly I was walking on the crackly ankle without any pain.

Nana washed, disinfected, and bandaged my wounds and I analysed the ankle. It really wasn't the ankle at all (thank goodness) but the tendons across the top of my foot, the tenderest bits were right where it joined the ankle. I was testing the range of mobility and found the exact position where it was injured with a loud yelp.

Nana said I had to wrap, elevate and ice it for several hours.


Settled in with my sketch kit since there was nothing else I could do.

After the shock of injuring myself wore off I got really bored and restless. Decided those tubs upstairs weren't gonna get into storage by themselves, so I hobbled up there and started dragging them down the stairs. Helped Nana load the truck and unload at the storage unit...twice. Two truckloads worth of stuff.

When Poppy came home he examined all my boo-boos and declared I needed X-rays and a tetanus shot. He asked when was my last tetanus shot. Told him I don't think I've ever had a tetanus shot. I only get injured or get sick when I'm at his house.

And yes, my nose is starting to stuff up. The Snotty Sneezer triplet has infected me with some kind of daycareitis crud. Joy.

1 comment:

Karen Blados said...

Well, that just stinks! Not much else to say.

Hope you're on the mend soon.