Friday, November 27, 2009

Playing with Primaries

Journaling:

The arty bloggers are doing primary color wheels today - cool, warm, bright, & muted. I'd never considered which primaries I had in my paintbox or if they were cool or warm. I just paint with the colors that make my soul sing.

These are my options for primary colors. I'm not sure Burnt Sienna is a red but I always refer to it as Brick Red.

I can see some combos I like:
RSA - BSA - IND
GAM - SCL - CER

The cool colors just don't melt my butter much.


(On the RSA BSA IND color wheel)
This didn't turn out very well. There's not enough contrast between RSA & BSA. Neither mixed well with IND.

(On the PLY MAG UML wheel)
These mixed well but the palette doesn't thrill me.

(On the GAM SCL CER wheel)
Love this warm palette but CER - SCL doesn't mix. Mud, mud, mud.
GAM - SCL makes a fab orange.

Hearts for these combos:
RSA - IND
BSA - UMB
RSA - CEL; I like the greens but it would make a weird neutral.

Raspberries for these combos:
RSA - UMB
RSA - WVT
BSA - WVT

(In the middle)
Playing with paints seeing what I might learn. Not quite sure what I'm doing. Kinda gave up in frustration because I don't really get the point of color wheels. Then again, maybe I do.

No comments: