Thursday, November 12, 2009

Graveside



Process notes:
I struggled with the composition of this one. I couldn't figure out where to put the people and ended up with lots of sky. Phooey. I considered fleshing out the figures more, or adding more people, but I thought it would make it go from bad to worse.

I painted in the sky first using wet-on-wet (which I hardly use in this journal) and realized no cloud in the sky tipped at a 45° angle. Sheesh, what was I thinking???? Painted the tree like a second-grader. Painted the tent and stuff under it, then took a frustration break.

When I came back to it I realized painting just the main subject matter and leaving the rest black and white was a cool effect. I wouldn't have come up with that on my own, dangit. Added a bit of shading to the figure and chairs and called it done.

Sometimes less is more. Must remember this.

1 comment:

Capt Elaine Magliacane said...

You are one of my favorite artist bloggers... so I've given you an award. Check my blog to pick up your award. http://captelaine.blogspot.com