Friday, December 25, 2009

Christmas Eve - 11:30 PM

I got up this morning and got right to work. Unusual for me. I wrapped the last of the presents, stowed the Christmas wrap for another year, did all the laundry, and cleaned the office. I was finished by 4:00 p.m. and didn't know what to do with myself after that. Usually I don't get started on this stuff until late at night.

Cooked supper, then fell asleep watching "It's a Wonderful Life." Woke up as the credits were rolling so now I'm wide awake. Realized I still needed to draw some family tchochke so I could drop it off with my sisters on Christmas.

Journaling:

I got this old can and ruler from Daddy's workshop back when I was a teenager. I thought they were cool because they were old.

I've been lugging them around for three decades. Not it's time for them to go. Taking them to Prissy Sister to decorate the antique bedroom in her new "old farmhouse."


Journaling:

Daddy's Navy Signal Flags flashcard deck. I'm guessing these are from the Korean War era.

I played with them as a child and must have chewed up a few. Some are missing and some have teeth marks. They are going to live at Nana's house now.


What's on the other side:

1.) E - ECHO - EASY
Hoisted singly means: "I am directing course to starboard"
Morse Code Symbol: (dot)

2.) G - GOLF - GEORGE
Hoisted singly means: "I require a pilot"
Morse Code Symbol: (dash-dash-dot)

3.) Z - ZULU - ZEBRA
To be used to address or call shore stations
Morse Code Symbol: (dash-dash-dot-dot)

4.) EMERGENCY (U.S. Nave Special Pennant)
Means: "Signal (S) Flying are to be obeyed as soon as understood"
Written: EMERG

5.) International Code Two Flag Hoist
NECTAR - NAN
COCA - CHARLIE
Means: "I am in distress and require immediate assistance"

6.) NEGATIVE (U.S. Navy Special Pennant)
Means: "In reply to a signal - "No" or permission not granted"
Written: NEGAT

There are many more than just these six. I just picked the most colorful ones to draw. There were also six vessel identification cards. The front had an actual black and white photo and the reverse had the silhouette and ship specifications.

It is now 2:15 a.m. Christmas morning. I'm going to bed while watching A Christmas Story. "You'll shoot yer eye out kid!" I love this movie.

Merry Christmas!

No comments: