Friday, October 17, 2008

Hook for Airships

Because Fred wanted the Extreme Close-ups to be a hook for airships.



4" x 6", watercolor on wc paper.

There is actually a light blue wash for the sky and fluffy clouds too. The scanner just didn't pick them up.

Used a wet-on-wet technique for painting the sky without brush marks. Painted the entire area with clean water, then brushed on the paint. Worked like a charm. This is probably a Watercolor 101 technique, but I didn't know about it.

Made the clouds by dabbing the wet paint with a ball of tissue. Cool. Easy. Saw that done on a video on the Painting and Drawing Channel.

I made a boo-boo when I tried to add the shadow for the airship on the ground. I had estimated the light to be coming in from above left, so the shadow should have been slightly to the right. Well, it looked all wrong. I tried to get the paint up but was not entirely successful. Phooey. The shadow looked 'righter' under the blimp.

This is my 4th watercolor painting.

No comments: