Sunday, October 19, 2008

Church Chimes at Sunset

Tonight I heard the neighborhood church chimes. It was a magical moment like the world had paused for a moment to listen. I wondered how I could capture the sound of chimes in paint. Couldn't figure that out so I tried to capture the wonderful lavender sunset so I could remember the chimes.



Watercolor #5
Original artwork: 4" x 6"; on watercolor paper
Digitally edited to 2.25" x 3.25"




When I saw the sunset sky, it was framed by the black silouette of the neighbor's house and trees. It was a brilliant lavender color shining brightly through the darkness. It really drew my attention to the spot.

That's how I painted it.



But this looked way too gloomy and murky and the sunset was NOT the focus. Thank goodness for the ability to digitally edit. Once I got rid of most of the unimportant swamp slime, the sunset really did turn out well.

The little moon shape right over the trees was a boo-boo. I didn't notice it until after I had scanned and cropped the painting. I guess a drop of water got on it and lifted the paint without me realizing it.

I guess that little moon wanted to live in this painting.

1 comment:

Margaret Ann said...

A beautiful memory to treasure... I love the cropped view and the little moon, even though not intentional, rocks! :)