Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Green Wheel Statues


Sep. 14, 2010 - Continuing the story....

The truck blocking the view of the statue finally left and I set to drawing.

Indian music was blaring from a nearby Italian restaurant's outdoor patio. (Yes, I thought that was odd too.) The high nasal whine was like nails on a chalkboard. Then the restaurant behind us started blaring hip-hop music.

The combined noise was deafening and made me nervous and twitchy. It was very hard to sit still and concentrate.

Dee and I were sitting about three feet apart and couldn't carry on a normal conversation. In fact, we couldn't hear ourselves think.

I yelled at Dee, "Are you a drinkin' woman Dee?"

"No!" she yelled back.

I bellowed, "I'm not either! But if I listen to this much longer I'm gonna need a stiff bourbon and Coke!!!"

Oh, the trials and tribulations of the Urban Sketcher life. Thankfully, the bartender came out to chat, realized the music was too loud and turned it down. Thank you dude, you don't know how much we appreciated that gesture of kindness.

These were the oddest statues. They are two guys dressed in work clothes, both kinda hunched over. They aren't holding anything, aren't looking at anything. They're just two random guys in bronze. Very odd.

I wonder who thought they were worth statutizing???

Process notes:
I goofed up the perspective on the wheel rim. Oh well. There was no eraser on my Pentel Pocket Brush Pen.

I couldn't figure out what to do with the background. The actual background was buildings and cars and bushes. That would have been too busy to draw. It would have taken away from the statues. Finally just painted sky down to the ground like a second-grader would have done. I need to work on that.

3 comments:

Timaree said...

Maybe at one time those guys were looking at something and it's been stolen. Nice job on the pic. Backgrounds are sort of hard when you don't want the one that is there. What if you put some ground color in below the sky to sort of ground the statues? Still not the best solution but I don't really know what to do here either. A bourbon and Coke doesn't sound too bad but it's early in the morning and I'm not ready for my drink out of two or three times in a year!

Anonymous said...

Very nice to see you back after almost a month.
We are way behind in our outings. dee

Warren Ludwig said...

An explanation about what the two guys in the statue are doin':

Statue on the left, "Are you a drinkin' man, Billy Bob?"

"No!" Billy Bob yelled back.

Jimmy Joe (the first statue) bellowed, "I'm not either! But if I listen to this much longer I'm gonna need a stiff bourbon and Coke!!!"

Seriously...look at the poses. That's what they're sayin' alright.