Friday, June 26, 2009

Claiborne Parish Courthouse


Leaving Arkansas headed south we arrive at the Claiborne Parish Courthouse in Homer, Louisiana.

This is another beautiful public building I'll probably never get inside because I always seem to arrive on Sunday. I thought this courthouse was neat because the columns go all the way around. Makes me want to pull up a chair on the porch and drink a mint julep. As the day wears on I could just keep moving around the building and stay in the shade.

The little dab of history:

The present day brick courthouse, built in the Greek Revival style of architecture, is one of only four pre-civil war courthouses in the State of Louisiana still in use today. The building, completed in 1860, was accepted by the Claiborne Parish Police Jury July 20, 1861 at a cost of $12,304.36, and is on the National Register of Historic Places.

Source: Claiborne Chamber of Commerce

A State Historical Marker on the courthouse square reads: "Built in 1860, this antebellum building was point of departure for Confederate troops during the War Between the States. It is one of the finest examples of Southern expression of Greek architectural style."

I took my reference photo in 1998. While researching the history of the building I found a more recent photo where the tree had been removed. There's a huge cupola on top of this courthouse! Gak! I couldn't see it for the tree! I opted not to try to add it in. Let's just call it artistic license. I think the proportions of the cupola are too large for the structure anyway. It looks odd.

I was amused to find that after 10 years the red plastic flowers are still in the pots at each corner of the building.

No comments: